To each his own !
What camera you choose to take is very much a personal decision and generally will make little differance to the quality of the images you will be able to take. So be it Nikon, Canon or any of the other brand names no matter.
My normal travel ”Kit Bag” is as follows :
- 2 camera bodies (Canon or Nikon because I use Canon or Nikon)
- Canon 24-105 IS L f4 or Nikon equivalent (usually 18-55 VR kit lens which is excellent)
- Canon 70-200 f2.8 + 1.4 converter
- Canon 50mm f1.8
- Canon 85mm f1.8
- Flash 430 EX
- Sigma 10-20 EX
- Batteries (plenty) plus chargers
- Cards (about 30GB for a 2 week trip if shooting RAW)
- Blowers and brushes
- Lens cleaning solution (ROR) + Tissues
all packed into a Domke bag or camera backpack (lowepro) for ease of access. Depending on the trip I will also take a laptop and external storage drives. Nice to be able to make copies of you days work to make sure it is safe or even that you may have to repeat some of it when seen on a bigger screen.